Applications for the 2018 MBG REU program are now closed.
Who should APPLY?
Students entering their junior year (preferred), or sophomore or senior years, and majoring in the life sciences with an overall GPA of at least 3.3 preferred, but minimally 3.0. Preference will be given to students with strong interest in gaining research experience in preparation for graduate study. Members of underrepresented or underserved minority groups; students with disabilities; 1st generation college students; women; and students who would contribute to diversity in other ways, are encouraged to apply. Students from smaller undergraduate institutions with limited opportunities for research are also encouraged to apply. Participants in the REU program must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Students who will have completed the bachelor's degree by May of this academic year are not eligible for REU programs, but are invited to apply to the University's graduate programs (see mbg.cornell.edu).
HOW TO APPLY
There are four steps to your application:
1. Assemble Your Application Materials
Please have the following materials ready before you begin your application
- Academic Transcript(s): Official or unofficial versions will both be accepted. Upload a scanned version of your transcripts through the application form.
DO NOT SEND A PASSWORD PROTECTED PDF.
- Personal Statement Essay: (400-700 words). Describe why you are interested in the MBG REU program and how you see this experience fits into your academic and career plans. If you’ve had previous research experiences, include that as well.
- Current GPA
If you are applying from Puerto Rico and do not have fall 2017 grades available because of the hurricane, please submit the most recent transcript available.
2.Research Participating Faculty:
Visit the Participating Mentors page to become familiar with the participating faculty and their research areas. You will have the opportunity to select up to three faculty whose work is of interest on the application form.
3.Register in the System and Create an Account
Login to the application system. The application is hosted on a third-party site.
- Create an applicant account AND complete the contact information section. Use your current email address as your username and choose a password that you will remember.
- Enter the name and email address of both of your recommenders. Be sure to press the “Send Email” button to send your letter of recommendation request immediately. Faculty are often the best recommenders, but anyone who can speak to your abilities and potential can submit a letter. NOTE: sending your request for a recommendation at this point will help ensure your recommenders submit the letters before the application deadline allowing you to complete and submit the application at your own pace. Applications without letters of recommendation are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- Once you
rcomplete and submit your application, a second email request will be sent to your recommenders. You can login to your application account at any time to see the status of your recommendation letters.
4. Complete and Submit Your Application
Review your application. Once you have completed and submitted your application, you will only be able to update your contact and faculty preference information. You will also able to review the status of your recommendation letters.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to add email@example.com to your email contacts to insure that you receive all our email communications regarding your application. If you do not receive a confirmation email shortly after creating an account and/or submitting your complete application, check your spam folder. Please remember to ask your recommenders to do the same.
Cornell University Contact:
REU Program Molecular Biology and Genetics of Cell Signaling
c/o Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
107 Biotechnology Building
526 Campus Road
Ithaca, NY 14853-2703
Attn: Program Manager
Current program directors: Dr. Volker Vogt (PD) and Dr. Jun (Kelly) Liu (co-PD)